16 August 2010

Why I Hate Dora Cake

Sure, "hate" is a strong word, but I really am so incredibly frustrated...and, the beat is better than "dislike" for all of you poetry lovers out there.
My girls went to a birthday party this weekend and the theme was DORA!! YEA!!! Only, Gianna came home with icing all over her little dress. BUT, at least they had fun, right? Okay, I'll give you that one, but the fallout for the next two days is something else.
Well, the next day I had my first near-fainting experience as a mother. During choir practice someone needed a diaper change. I peeked in Gianna's diaper to verify it was her (I'm not too much a fan of taking a whiff). What I saw there made my knees go weak. It looked like blood. So, I grabbed a friend and rushed to the bathroom to change her diaper and decide what to do next. I was so grateful my friend came with me because she recognized the red dye effects and quickly calmed my fears. No biggie after that. She just had red waste for 24 hours.
Think it's over? Nope. I have a ton of laundry to do and filled my washer up with light colors. In went the dress with the red icing. Thinking that it will just wash out since I even spritzed it with Spray-N-Wash, I turned on the washer. No problem! Sure enough, the dress came out looking great. No red residue or stain on it! However, I have lasting and permanent stains on two pairs of work pants for Eric, and two different pants for Emily, plus a few shirts fell to their demise. After two subsequent washes (with the same stain remover), they still all have pink splotches on them. SO-NOT-HAPPY.
So, I think I can say that I hate Dora Cake. But, I also hate washable crayons. Sure, they may wash off the walls fairly easily, but they are not actually wash-able. If you find one in your wash, I can assure you that there are multiple items also in that wash that will forever sport their contact with this art supply. They don't get any cleaner, either, after multiple washes. So, in the past month, I've lost quite a few pieces of our wardrobes to various washing disasters. And, all in the "lights" wash, too!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Try getting some OxyClean and letting the items soak for hours. I'm talking like 6. I just dump the oxyclean right on the stain and let it sit there. Doesn't always work, but it has quite a few times when I thought something was ruined. Good luck! (Oh, and FYI, I've never experienced it personally, but I hear blue food coloring turns poo blue.)

Boyd Box said...

Just tried OxyClean over night. No go. Stuff still pink AND it took some of the blue dye from my skirt and shared that around, too. So, now my daughter has some crazy "tie-dye" pants. Sad. They were such a pretty light pink (AND she only wore them once).

Em said...

So Ashton says you are not allowed to use "hate" and "Dora" in the same sentence!! LOL But I totally understand your frustration. I had a yellow crayon end up in my dryer and after many soakings and concoctions, I still have yellow marks on one of my favorite skirts. :(

Crystal said...

I'm sorry Liz. I've never had it ruin articles of clothing. Just remove stains (or not).

kemeki said...

That's one reason I refuse to separate my clothes by color (and if you haven't noticed, I don't really have much in the light department anyway). I go by texture/drying time.