18 August 2010

Honor

In a fast-paced world, rushing to this and that, it's usually a frustration when cars slow down and there's a back-up. Not today. Going home on 247, three lanes of traffic were backed up. I couldn't see why, but I noticed there were no cars racing ahead. I took my turn-off and continued to follow the slow-paced traffic.
Funeral.
I get really choked up about funeral processions. It's not about the person who has died. He/she is in good hands. I feel sad for those who now have a hole in their lives, but am more choked up by the way complete strangers stop to give one moment of honor to someone they never knew.
I felt such joy in the fact that every single car that came in view of the funeral procession stopped. There isn't much in this society that can do that, but a funeral is one. And, I'm not talking about a two-laned road, either. This is a busy thorough-fare and everyone stopped.
I have to say that I am happy to be an American and to share in this tradition of honoring the dead and those who are mourning that loss. Thank you, the unknown citizens who shared respect for this unknown individual.

1 comment:

Heidi Hoffer said...

That's a great word image. Thank you for your noticing the funeral. I have had the same experience and said the same thing about being an American... Good work.