05 August 2010

Bikes

Have you noticed that riding bikes in other countries is pretty standard? Everyone has a bike like everyone here in the US has a car.
Pros for riding bikes: save the earth, get in shape, save time and money!
When Emily was accepted into school, we started making plans. One of them was the fact that we live close enough to ride the bikes to school. We put the trailer on my bike and practiced.
Well, we rode her to school yesterday and my inner thighs were KILLING me, plus, I had to pedal constantly the whole way! I couldn't figure out how these two kids had gained so much weight all the sudden. When we went back to pick her up, Eric noticed that the tires were low, so he pumped them up. Yeah, about 40 lbs of pressure too low! It made a HUGE difference, although, I think Gianna enjoyed the lower pressure better as she didn't get bounced around as much.
On the way back, we also encountered an unforseen obstacle. I've heard of roadkill, but not sidewalk kill. Usually it's a small cat or a bird or some other small animal. No. In the middle of our way (near the top of a hill, no doubt!) there was a bloated, stinking armadillo. An ARMADILLO!!???? Are you kidding me? Oh, I was so grossed out in that heat! We walked our bikes around it.
When we got there, we couldn't find Emily. I think us riding bikes is throwing everyone for a loop. I mean, who is crazy enough to ride bikes in 100+ weather, right? Well, we are. And, let me tell you, it feels SO great to get some exercise while being productive. PLUS, the incredibly long pick-up line is avoided. We spent an hour in line the other day and it was incredibly irritating. I mean, I'm going to have my toddler strapped into a carseat for an hour every day, twice a day? Are you kidding me? Not happening. Well, unless it is raining. Then I don't have much of a choice.
Well, we got our daughter, along with many crazy looks and rode home. We ran a few errands and after dinner, Eric went into the garage to get something and heard a soft "SPshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". For some reason his back tire decided it was time to retire (hahahah! I wrote that and then realized how funny it was). So, he won't be able to enjoy another fun-filled ride to school this morning.
Will we do this again? Yes. If you haven't ridden a bike lately, I encourage you to get out there and do it. It's so much fun and easier than walking in this heat.
So, if you see us riding our bikes on your travels during the week, honk at us!!

3 comments:

kemeki said...

very cool! I always find it easier to walk if I actually have a place to go - I guess the same would apply to biking!

Momma Sarah said...

Way to go Boyd's! Crazy that you are doing it in 100 degree weather! But, I do understand the not wanting to wait for an hour just to pick your kid up from school!

Crystal said...

Yay bikes! I came over to reply to your post, and saw this new one about bikes. I just bought a bike at a garage sale, and despite being 8 months pregnant, took it and the bike trailer to the dumpster with a load of garbage and recyclables. I can't wait to get on and start using it for real exercise! I plan to ride in the STP ASAP. Don't know if I'll make it by June or have to wait a whole year, we'll see.

And thank you for being honest about the work load overload when you add another kid. Everyone keeps saying it's not that bad, blah blah blah. I appreciate your honesty. I knew they were all lying little liars! Oh, and I posted two new posts on "My Path to the Past" blog, just FYI.