14 August 2010

Are These Really My Kids?



Sometimes I look at my girls and think, "Are these really my kids?" They are so beautiful and amazing!
I had a wonderful "proud mama" moment tonight. We were at a friend's birthday party and the kids were playing hand-slap games. There was a new one I hadn't heard before...something that you "open the gate...who do you hate?...that's your date!" I'm sure this sounds innocent and "just another child's game" but I also think there are repercussions associated with this kind of play. (I mean, parents say they won't spank their kids or slap their hands for discipline and yet they allow them to sword fight or play punch. If spanking is bad, then allowing them to play those kinds of games is really detrimental.) In fact, I actually cringed when I overheard this game going on and thought, "Wow, this is SO not a good game." Well, my daughter made me incredibly happy when it was her turn and she announced, "Nobody! I don't hate anybody!" I'm so glad she said it and it basically put an end to the game. Beautiful. Just beautiful, inside and out.
Yes, that's my daughter and some how I got blessed to be her mom.

No comments: