01 October 2009

The Power of an Apology

I am a work in progress. One of those improvements is in being willing to say I'm sorry and recognize that, intended or not, I am accountable for the way I make people feel. There is a power in apologies. I can honestly say that nine times out of ten (you'd be surprised at how that is NOT a cliche but an actual ratio), when you apologize, it softens the actions/words that caused the initial conflict. What an amazing power! This power comes not of itself, but from the humility that is contained behind it.
I am working on being less offensive to others and mindful of the words I use that may unintentionally cause friction. Until I perfect that, I will also be working on apologizing sincerely so others may be free from pain caused by me.

No comments: