18 October 2009

Then the Pumpkin Rotted

By no means am I complaining about today. I'm just sitting here and so grateful that I'm in a good place because otherwise, I might be REALLY short-tempered right about now.
Yes, the pumpkin rotted...on my counter. I just discovered it after coming home from a hectic day at church.
So, to start with, I already knew the day was going to be a bit crazy. However, I was not expecting all that happened. However, it makes for a good story...especially because I like to laugh at myself and the crazy things that tend to happen to me. (Yes, Trouble IS my middle name...we just put an accent over the "e" so I can be cool like the French.)
Once every month, Eric has to leave in the middle of sacrament meeting because of a meeting at work (trust me, even the church leaders have said that this is a necessity if your employer demands it: priorities go "family, work, church"). No big deal: I recruited a sister in the ward to help me (I LOVE YOU, Sister Vicki!!) We got through sacrament meeting (the big, everyone-in-the-church meeting) with only a little loud jabbering and complaining from Gianna.
Next, off to Nursery we go for the remaining 2 hours. I love Nursery and the kids are fairly well behaved for 18 month to 3 year olds. Okay, so they are probably EXTREMELY well behaved. Due to other circumstances, I ended up being the only nursery personnel today. No big deal, because, like I said, the kids are well behaved. I just had to think how I was going to get Emily to the potty since I needed to be there to receive kids.
We had a couple of visiting children, so departures from parents were a little shaky. Sadly, I ended up with 3 cryers (one poor girl just got all upset b/c 2 others wouldn't stop crying). I gave up about 10 minutes into the crying and resolved that I would just have to take the entire nursery on a field trip finding parents of crying kids AND make a potty stop.
So, here we all go trooping out...one crazy lady in heels with a baby on hip, 3 crying children and 5 mostly quiet ones in tow. Drop off crying child 1, 2, and 3...then the potty. Hmm...line up against the wall, kids! Thankfully, another one of my favorite people saved me in the hallway and took the one boy who needed to potty with him (Yes, Bro. Barber, you are ALWAYS a knight in shining armor!). Potty child 1, 2, and 3 finished!
Now, back to the Nursery!!
AMAZINGLY, we actually had a decent lesson where ALL the remaining kids stayed focus and in the seats (seriously, this is HUGE as it rarely happens even with 3 or 4 adults present...ah, the Lord knew I needed that!).
Help during coloring time and singing time from some other wonderful women came at just the right moments. Sadly, I did not escape ONE first today...I did have a child have a potty accident and no way to really address it since it happened about 2 minutes until the end of church...no use trying to round up kids to find her mommy when other classes were getting out (and, no worries, Mother of My Sweet Little Trooper....it was just kind of ironic that it would happen today).
Sure, the kids ran a little amok today, but at least we got through it. Of course, only to go to choir, which I love, but can be exhausting when my children don't want to be reverent for yet another hour. But, we got through it.
Gianna mercifully fell asleep on the ride home and stayed that way as I put her in bed. Emily has been playing nicely with her "Tea Party" set and play-doh this whole time. I was just sad that the pumpkin rotted on the counter since we hadn't gotten a chance to actually carve it and set it outside yet (it was gutted a week ago at a church activity).

3 comments:

Lori said...

lets meet at the pumpkin patch one day and you can get a new pumpkin and they usually have story time or we can just run around.....sorry about the acciedent...gross, and not staying to help...i had to get the programs out today...i'm gunna take kiera late next time, after the crying kids all settle or leave, because when i walked by and she heard you playing ring around the rosey, she asked to go back, i know she really likes it, but hates seeing people upset, once i hit my head on the car putting the girls in and laid on the floor of the garage, whimmpering, it hurt so bad, and both girls freaked out crying...anyways, if you don't have help ever again, i will def. be there, i actually missed it today, well, mostly just missed hanging out with you, but its always a good time!! when i saw you sitting on the floor and i grabbed kiki and left, that was so rude, i should have helped out, i was so caught up in my project and under a strict time restraint, i got unaware of your situation....glad you can laugh it off! do you need clothes? i have some i'm getting rid of.

Momma Sarah said...

What a day! Sounds like you made it through like a trooper. That is so rotten about your pumpkin (yes, I meant to say that!)

Em said...

Whew! That made me tired! Sorry I wasn't there to help out!! Atleast you didn't have my two in there as well!!!