23 January 2008

Shoots and Latters


New Beginnings is tonight and I came up with this idea to "mormonize" a children's game known as Chutes and Ladders. It's a morality teaching game, so it was perfect for this event. In my version it's a "shoots" as in "darn it, I messed up again" and "latters" for things latter-day saints should be doing. Therefore, "Shoots and Latters".
Anyway, seeing as there are no life-sized game board available plus the changes (and shorter game squares), I got to design my own. It took a lot longer than expected, but I think it turned out nicely. I'm keeping it to use as a FHE idea. I'm using cards (monopoly style like the "chance" pile) that correspond with the major or minor falls or climbs. That way, I can alter it to fit whatever the lesson may be.
Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I'm contemplating creating other life-sized game boards for our kids.

3 comments:

dais-E said...

Oh my! That's awesome! I so want to be there and play! Let me know how it goes.
Love ya!
Dais

Momma Sarah said...

AWESOME! You are so good at drawing! My 'latters' and 'shoots' wouldn't have come out looking that good - you'd be ahrd pressed to figure it out without an explanation! WAY TO GO! Tell us how it goes!

Boyd Box said...

The event went well and they even played the game twice!! It was a lot of fun!