17 September 2010

Perfectionism

Christ commanded us to be perfect even as he is perfect. That means that we have the potential for perfection within us. Granted, this attribute can only be fulfilled with Christ in our lives. I think I sometimes forget, though, that this is a progression and instead get frustrated when I can't perform something perfectly.
Perfectionism continues to be perpetuated in my family as Emily has picked up on it as well. The other day she and Gianna were building block towers, something at which Emily truly excels. For some reason, her tower kept falling over and she became frustrated with it. She immediately got up and went to draw a picture. This is what she drew and wrote:

When I asked her about it, she explained that she isn't good at building towers and that she is bad because of it. WOW! Whoops! Better be more careful at how I vocalize my own frustrations so I don't perpetuate her view that failure at a task means a lacking of goodness.

No comments: