24 April 2010

Quickly I'll Obey

It's interesting to see the way that the Lord prepares me for my lessons each Sunday. Without knowing it, Emily demonstrated the purpose of this week's lesson (I only just now was able to prepare for it). "Obey your parents" is such a simplistic idea with very complex applications.
As children, we learn to not question our parents when they give a directive. We just go and do. Eventually we understand the purpose for these requests and start doing them on our own. The same goes for obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ. At first we do things because we are told, but eventually, through inspiration and testimony gained through the application, we learn to do things because we see the benefit ourselves.
Emily, at the age of three, has had chores that she is responsible for. Basically, anything she is capable of getting out, she has to put away (toys, clothes, etc.). She also is required to feed her dog and is given other assignments as she masters skills (such as watering the flower beds and garden).
Two days ago, as I started cleaning up the kitchen, Emily, unasked, ran off to her room. A few minutes later she returned, triumphant. "Mommy!" she exclaimed, "My room is all clean. You can vacuum!" She took me by the hand and showed me her good work. She was so proud of herself and I was very proud of her efforts and independence in this matter. As I went to get the vacuum cleaner, drama erupted. Emily came running out, throwing her hands up in the air, "Don't, Mommy! Don't! My room not clean anymore!!" The child was so distraught, she could barely breathe. Her face was red and her lips were purple. Gianna had found the clean room, which, to her means she can see "new" toys to grab and play with.
I took Emily by the hand and we cleaned it back up together, reassuring her the whole time that it was okay and how much I appreciated her cleaning her room in the first place.
Later, when I was cleaning the toilet in her bathroom, she questioned me on what I was doing and the purpose for such. I answered (I really believe kids understand a lot, so I explain all about germs and cleanliness). She immediately asked me, "What can I do?" I was about to burst with love for this child! I gave her another small task, which she completed quickly.
I don't know if Emily will continue in this manner, but we are all striving to help her learn her responsibilities and the necessity of doing things without complaining. When she asks why, I try to do my best to give her the purpose for the task so she can grow to understand and then do things on her own as she has her epiphanies over chores, tasks and requests from her parents.
In a similar vein, she will learn to do the things God requires of her and will approach them in like manner: first out of obedience, then out of understanding.

No comments: