04 March 2010

Withhold Thy Judgment

Emily has started to read her first words. She can sound out just about anything, but putting those sounds together to make a words doesn't always take. I'm not too concerned. The child is only three! She has always been super smart and has accomplished things quickly and hit milestones before I knew that something was a milestone. So, when a friend asked me if I could tell if one child was perhaps smarter than the other, I quickly identified Emily over Gianna.
I'm not saying I don't think Gianna is smart. I think she's just slower to manifest things. I would definitely say she has a lot of her father in her since he was a little perfectionist as a child and slower to demonstrate his abilities in an area (he seriously would practice a new word in his room before using it in the "public" space with the family).
Well, she's going to give Emily a run for her money on learning to read. I'm not kidding. It isn't something I can get her to do on command, but she will offer letters of her own accord. She'll climb up in my lap to point to a letter on the page and loudly announce "A"! Or, she'll tell her daddy the letter on a license plate (seriously this one happened yesterday at the Tag/Tax office), "I"! Then, while watching Super Why, she shouts out letters like "L" at the correct place! It's pretty amusing to hear my one year old have as much interest in letters and reading as her older sister.
Eric was joking that Gianna will be able to spell but not walk and read but not talk. Sure, she's quieter and more reserved, but I have to take back my judgment of which child is smarter. They are both smart and I have to let them show me in which areas they have higher skills. I am a lucky and blessed mother of two very intelligent girls.

No comments: