26 February 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row...
If it were only that easy. I've wanted to have a garden since I got married. It hasn't happened. I'm not a green thumb, so that is a portion of what intimidates me. Our clay here is too hard to till, so I have finally resolved to building myself a "grow box" of sorts. I've seen a lot and have an idea in my head...which still needs to come to fruition.
Of course, I also need to definitely decide on what I should grow. I know this is usually planned according to the family's wants and needs. However, my family still isn't big on a lot of vegetables. Having a garden is more of my idea to save money while remaining healthy as I am not big on exorbitant prices for vegetables that may spoil before I have a chance to consume them.
Thus, the reason I inquire of you, my loyal blog readers: how does your garden grow? or, rather, what do you grow in your garden plot?

2 comments:

BriAnne said...

I make sure to grow things that I use frequently. Green onions, for example. When I buy them at the store they come in a bunch. I use a few of them in something and then they go bad before I use the rest. This way, I can just pull what I need out of the garden. I'm also a big zucchini fan and it's super easy to grow those. My family hates tomatoes (but I like them), so I grow one plant. This way I have what I need and don't have to waste them. Plus, tomatoes are usually expensive around here. Anyway, I think I'm long winded, so.....:).

Oh, except I'm growing raspberries, strawberries, and even attempting watermelon this year. Love fruit in the summer!

Em said...

We (or should I say Keith) grow tomatoes, zucchini, squash, tons of peppers, basil, cilantro, and parsley. We've never done onions before, but are going to try them this year. Keith is an avid gardner, and I like all the fresh vegetables (though I hate weeding!!).