22 February 2010

Drop of Sunshine



Yesterday we enjoyed a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday. I put Gianna in her swing and sat next to her in another swing. Going back and forth and smiling at each other, I had this overwhelming feeling of love.
If you knew me in high school or college, that little tidbit would be quite shocking. Sure, I came from a large family but I intended never to have children and even getting married was optional. I had big dreams of traveling and being a successful attorney and possibly even being an ambassador. None of these things coordinated with me having any form of family. I planned on being the rich aunt who would take the nieces and nephews to Europe.
Nothing in that last paragraph happened. I graduated from college, went on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, felt some strong impressions from the Lord in reference to my "career" (I planned on going on to law school after finishing my mission up to that point). I came home, met up with a fellow missionary, began dating, got married and the following year started my role as "mommy". A little over two years later I added another daughter to the mix.
Now I can't imagine being anything other than a mommy. I still peruse master's programs and have that goal and dream of accomplishing that and getting involved in a few different professions, but not until my kids are grown.
In the meantime, I get to enjoy moments of children exploring the world and just being "so dang cute!" When I look at Gianna, I see this golden piece of sunshine. Of course, I couldn't capture the image before me, it was like seeing more of my child than what is physically there: a little angelic with her white-yellow hair back-lit and her perfectly alabaster skin and large blue eyes! Well, you judge: doesn't she look like a drop of sunshine?

PS The first picture enables me to see the Lasley side of my child and the second is definitely the Boyd. No difference to you? Well, that's the privilege of being the mommy and always being around this adorably sweet girl.

2 comments:

BriAnne said...

Beautiful pictures, Liz! You're girls are darling. Glad you posted a link to your blog. I'll keep reading.....

miss said...

Like, we never believed you. You wanted a family, even if you'd not admit it.