26 February 2010

Frozen Browned Beef

For years and years I have purchased ground beef in bulk, separated it, and frozen it for future use. This is a fairly good plan as it allows me to purchase meat on sale. However, I don't like having to thaw it out or brown it as it thaws (lazy woman in a hurry method). So, I've taken to purchasing the same amount of beef (on sale), browning it, draining all the fat off, and then packaging it and freezing the cooked meat. Sure, it probably doesn't last as long in the freezer, but I don't need it to, either. When it is fully cooked and ready to go, I can have a meal in minutes because the meat is ready!
I love this new method, as it allows me the dreaded browning only once and yet I have multiple meals to prepare from it for a couple of weeks. I also am more likely to take the time to prepare my family healthy meals as this lessens the dread. Now, if I can only figure out how to get the same results with poultry...

5 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

Does the meet taste different?I've thought about doing this but then thought the meat might taste funny. My cousin cans (puts it in jars) her poultry and beef. Then all she has to do is open the jar, drain and reheat.

Boyd Box said...

Nope, the meat doesn't taste different (to me). I'd love to be able to can, but that takes more effort. Brown and freeze is my amount of involvement!! Oh, and I don't season the meat until I pull it back out to use it for whatever menu item, either.

Momma Sarah said...

That's what I've been doing for a long time now. Buy in bulk and season, portion it out into freezer bags, label with the date, lay flat for best storage in the freezer and there ya go! When I get super crazy and but a huge amount of ground beef, I do the above, but I also make my own meatballs to freeze. I even cook them before freezing so they are ready to put into what ever... meatball sandwiches, meatballs and rice with my special sauce... whatever calls for meatballs. I've even been know to make a whole bunch of individual meatloaves. I don't pre-cook those ususally because I'm having baked potatoes with those... start the potatoes and throw however many 'loaves' you need in a casserole dish (cover it with foil and cleaning is super easy).

For poultry - you CAN do the same thing. Cook it up and freeze it. I cook 10-12 lbs at a time, shred, portion out into freezer bags for what ever i'll need shredded chicken for (enchiladas, etc.. you get the picture) I'll also dice up chicken and cook it for recipes that call for diced chicken.

Beef, poultry, pork can all be 'pre-cooked' and frozen for later use. Just look at all the stuff they have in the frozen food section, especially those frozen meals... if they can do it, you can too! And, it's much healthier if you do it, no extra chemicals added so it can sit in a freezer for 2 years! I taught a freezer meal class last year, so if you want the recipes we tried (and liked), let me know and I'll send them to you!

The Roes said...

I have been an avid user of canned chicken lately. We probably go through about 2-3 quarts a week. I like it better than frozen meat. It's also so easy and quick to use. I have been known to brown hamburger and freeze it.

Sarah, I would be very interested in your freezer recipes. I also never thought of making small loaves of meat loaf. I'm not a fan of them, but I know Adam would enjoy it. Then he and Haydn can eat that and I'll eat my chicken. =) (cansh = a miniture cornish hen, some can fit in a can..hahaha)

Em said...

I am definately going to try this method. We use deer meat (because the husband is a hunter). But I often forget to take out the meat before dinner time. If it was already cooked it would probably thaw a lot quicker as well. Thanks for the great idea! I love my SMART friends!