01 December 2009

Princess Rosa

Emily has been infatuated with making up not only new names for herself, but new languages, too. Last night, after tucking her in for the night, she declared, "I'm Spanish, Mommy." I nodded my head and tried slipping out before the storyteller in her started. Not getting the response she was looking for, she further explained, "I'm Spanish in my mouth!" This got a chuckle out of me. I clarified with her that she meant that she spoke Spanish. When I understood this, she started spouting off what she deemed to be Spanish words. I must admit, when I hear a native Spanish speaker, it rolls together and I can't follow at all. It's beautiful and I'm sure if I took the chance to learn it, I'd appreciate it. Instead, I'll just enjoy the creation of my daughter. Who knows, maybe it's a hint that she should start learning it. I mean, Dora is one of her "best friends" and we have several bilingual toys for her.
I had more of this Spanish Rosa (a few weeks ago, she informed a nursery leader that this was her name...including the rolling "r") this morning as she dressed herself. She looked very festive in her tutu, wings, and mix-n-match dress-up paraphernalia. When she completed her ensemble, including make-up, she announced that she was a Spanish fairy princess. She went to the library in her getup and was complemented. Upon hearing the words, "She is so cute," she whispered to me, "Am I cute, Mommy?"

1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

Of course she is! What an imagination she's got! And where's those pics of her in her 'get-up'?