13 December 2009

You Cheat ME!

Somehow, growing up, I got tagged with a sometimes nickname of "Mahana". For those of you unaware of "Mormon pop culture," there is an old film that basically spells out that when you treat people well, they blossom and become their potential. Mahana was a girl who was viewed as not only ugly, but worthless. Her father and her community treated her poorly. However, along comes Mr. Fantastic that everyone adores, except his name is Johnny Lingo, not Mr. Fantastic. Anyway, he loves Mahana and pays a great price for her in order to marry her. After the wedding, he whisks her away on a long honeymoon only to return with a very beautiful and charming wife. Mahana blossomed under his love.
I am Mahana in so many ways. I think I brushed my hair a lot more than Mahana did in her younger days, but I often felt less than plain. I struggled throughout my youth and young adulthood to feel beautiful. When I met Eric, or rather, when we started dating, I found myself blossoming. I started carrying a purse (which, ironically, takes a backseat to the diaper bag these days). I started caring about his preferences and wanting to please him.
Today, he made me feel even more beautiful. It's simple, really. I needed to take something to him at work. No big deal, right? However, he took the opportunity to introduce me to all of his new co-workers and kind of showed us off. I don't feel like a trophy wife, but I do feel beautiful like a trophy wife when Eric does this. I felt like I have the two most adorable blond haired, blue eyed girls on the planet and that I, too, am beautiful.
I love my husband so much. He was truly sent for me and I appreciate all of his love and affection. I just hope I can be as good to him as he is to me.

No comments: