05 December 2009

Santa Spoiler Alert

I have a problem. I want truth spoken in my home. Therefore, I don't want to encourage my children's belief in a fairytale. I just don't want to have to tell them one day, "I've been lying to you for x-number of years. There really isn't a Santa Clause. Daddy and I give you gifts and pretend they are from someone else." I'm not knocking anyone else wanting to do this. I just have this personal feeling about it.
Mind you, I was raised in a home that had Santa and we left food out for Santa and all. I don't know how old I was when we were bad children and discovered the "Santa" gifts in my parents' closet (you are right, we shouldn't have been snooping). I was fairly young. Anyway, Christmas kind of lost it's joy after that. I didn't rediscover the joy of Christmas until I was an adult and serving a mission for my church. I guess this lends to not wanting to live a lie about the holiday characters to ruin it for my own kids.
So, in a effort to do this, we have tried to reconstruct Christmas. It's a celebration of Christ's spirit, really. Yet, Christianity has deemed it a celebration of Christ's birth. I love all of Christmas, really. I love it more and more as I re-experience it through a child's eyes (Emily is a Christmas fanatic...her favorite song is Jingle Bells and her favorite movie is Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer). I want the magic of Christmas, but not the lies.
Really, Christmas should be celebrated in April. You know, actually for Christ's birth? If we did THAT, there would be no "confusion of the season" remarks.
I want to celebrate Christ's birth, but I want to do it correctly. I also want to celebrate family togetherness, the spirit of giving, and another good hearty meal. I want, basically, to have my cake and eat it too...just at different times so I can enjoy both admiring the work that goes into it and the joy of the consumption, too.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I never believed in Santa growing up, I don't know why, I just didn't. But to me Santa is about the wonder and excitement of it all. As I got older, Christmas lost that. I just heard a new (to me?) song called "Who Says There Ain't no Santa?" I love the fact that as Austin begins to be aware of Christmas, I will again be able to experience that excitement, and Santa will be "real" all over again.