29 December 2009

What Are You Doing?

Today was a sad morning for my oldest. She was really upset at us as we began removing all of the "Christmas" paraphernalia from the house. I was sad, too. I love the decorations. I love decorations for any holiday/celebration, but we also have to be practical and get things in order as my sister is arriving tomorrow. With terror in her eyes as we dismantled the tree, Emily cried, "What you doing?" She was so distraught. Eric, lovingly, placed the blame on me.
Emily is just like me. I love to have the decorations. Any holiday needs to be celebrated: Christmas, Halloween, Fourth of July, whatever. If there are decorations, I want to have them up. We are slowly progressing to gaining our decorations and celebrating more fully after our spartan years of nothingness as missionaries.
I have fond memories of the decorations my mother had. From the big Pumpkin Man and Witch face that decorated for Halloween to the angel tree topper and Nativity set on the TV, those images are forever embedded in my mind. I want my children to grow up with the same satisfaction in celebration decoration. So, what am I doing? I'm ensuring that the decorations make it another year and we keep the joy and happiness unfolding.

3 comments:

The Roes said...

Haydn was pretty distraught over us taking down the Christmas tree as well! Adam smartly included him in the dismantling of the tree, which worked wonderfully. By the way, I saw the big orange pumpkin man a few weeks ago...I thought Mom and Dad lost it in the fire.

Jodi said...

I remember feeling the same way when I was a kid. My Mom tried to help us by putting out snowman and other winter decorations so the house wouldn't look so empty without the tree. Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas.

Em said...

Gavin still wakes up some mornings and asks "Mommy, is it Christmas?"