15 November 2008

My Wishbone Wish

Not that I have one, but if I pulled on a wishbone and was granted my wish, I'd like to be home at my parents for one more Thanksgiving (or Christmas). I just miss that big family feast that my family traditionally holds. It was different being on the mission and even more different now that I'm married and living close to my in-laws. I have yet to prepare a holiday meal since we always do these meals with Eric's family.
I was blessed to grow up in a home with a mother who loves to cook. I know she spent countless hours preparing meals in general, but more specifically, those holiday feasts. I know I moaned and groaned about having to peel potatoes or whatever assignment she gave (the worst was cleaning up afterward!! No dishwasher in our household growing up...unless you count each of us kids!), but I really do appreciate the love and effort she put into those meals.
It's very enlightening to find out what each family serves as their traditional Thanksgiving meal. For the Lasley's, the following menu was ours (and is what I am craving...along with just being able to be with my side of the family for a holiday for once):
Oven roasted turkey
Stuffing
Giblet gravy
Mashed potatoes
Dinner rolls
Green beans and pintos
Brown beans with piccalilli relish
Cranberry sauce (jellied-type)
*Cranberry relish
*Pineapple and cheese salad
*Broccoli salad
*"Pink stuff"
Relish tray: dill pickles, sweet pickles, sweet cherry peppers, carrots, green onions, black olives, green olives
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Pecan pie
Whipped cream

...and of course, that crisp, cold weather that makes gathering together in a warm house filled with the wonderful smells of food just that much more enticing!
What are traditional foods your family enjoys for these feasting holidays? (And, for any of you Lasley kids reading this, did I miss anything? It has been quite a long time since I was home for the holidays!!)
*recipes I've only ever had with my family.

4 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Now I'm homesick for a Thanksgiving / Christmas dinner at home! I think the brown bean and pintos are the same thing. Did you have sweet potatoes on the list? Applesauce cake? Chocolate cake - even though you can't eat it. One thing is for sure, we always had tons of leftovers! MMMMMM!! Besides the actual dinner, that is my other favorite part!

The food just tasted especially good at those times of the year, huh?

I thought this was good, my word verification work is "santilah". Santa?

Boyd Box said...

I remember having green beans cooked with pintos separate from the brown bean dish...but I could be remembering something else.
Yes, I am ALL about the leftovers!! Eric's family doesn't DO leftovers, so that's a big influence on the way they do holiday meals.
I tell ya, when we go up for Rachel and Adam's sealing in April, I am requesting a Thanksgiving meal (basically I can't even eat one at this point...I get full way too quickly anyway, aside from the acid reflux/heart burn)!!

The Doctors Wife said...

This year was going to be the year I had to do Thanksgiving for just my little family. But, my parents were in town this week and since Mike is working Thanksgiving day we had our feast yesterday. So, I got out of cooking because my Mom did it. I helped of course but she did most of it. The turkey we ate my husband shot last weekend.mmmmmm. I'll post pictures on my sites soon. There is nothing like being with family for the holidays.

Momma Sarah said...

Hmmm, maybe you are right about the beans one... Yeah, wait to splurge until you have ROOM to gorge yourself!

Ohhhh, what would a FRESH turkey taste like??? YUM!

We are having T-day dinner here with Chris's mom since she is officially leaving to move to TX early December. We MIGHT invite a single mom and her daughter over, too. But, we'll see. I'm actually looking forward to a nice, quiet day.