24 April 2008

Understanding Weakness

I "know" the Lord is guiding me daily, but most of the time I don't recognize it until someone puts up the neon sign saying "Did you notice...?"
Last night as I was driving home from mutual, the thought came to my mind to call my friend and ask her to babysit while I do a photo shoot in a couple of weeks. Now, most of the time, I don't even remember that I need to do that until last minute (come on, I only got a sitter for this Saturday yesterday afternoon and mostly b/c Stef offered to keep her for me). So, not recognizing my forward planning as of yet, I called her. Unknown to me, just calling her was an answer to her prayer. We talked about a lot of different things and I tried to be a good friend.
Then, this morning, I read/typed the rest of Ether 12. Due to my conversation last night and a question Sarah left on my answering machine last week regarding humility, I got so much more out of this reading. Of course, I should also note that I began doing this chapter yesterday but felt like I needed to quit where I was (like, verse 2 or 3). Now I get it. I needed the conversation last night to bring other items to light for my understanding of this scripture. Thus, in answering someone else's prayer, she answered mine.
There are a few basic things to consider before reading this chapter. First, this is a chapter inserted by Moroni while recording the Book of Ether. This inserted chapter is a beautiful sermon on faith and charity. I find it interesting that this is such an amazing chapter (as are other writings originated by Moroni's hand, see Moroni 10, for example) as he cites another individual as having more power in writing than he does. He sets up Mahonri Moriancumer as the epitome of scriptural writing. I'm sure we all do this with our current situations of whom is better than us at such and such a skill. However, recognizing this, he is then able to teach us about humility and charity. Humility in recognizing his own weakness and yet this leads to his charity towards man as he prays that "the Gentiles" will not mock his words.
Everyone probably recognizes the Ether 12:27 reference. However, I think in memorizing this scripture, we forget to attach the remainder of what the Lord says to Moroni in verse 37. The Lord states, after Moroni prays for men not to mock his writing skills, "If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father." I must be faithful in the commandments the Lord has given me. I cannot stop because I fear man or the judgments of man. Instead, I do my best and pray for others. Independent of whatever those other men choose, however, I do my best and I will receive what I desire: to live with my Savior and my God again.

No comments: