06 December 2010

Non-Idle Hands



It has been a quick month. All the sudden we are into December and life is not slowing down. We are having fun and enjoying life but have somehow become incredibly busy people.
In my "down" time, I have been able to do a few photo shoots and sew a few things, and of course, read several books for my book club.

I got together with a friend and taught her how to make simple girl's skirts and made one for Emily who is too long and lean to be modest in "store-bought" skirts and dresses. I got together with another friend and we made bags, although I don't have a picture of them yet. I got together with a couple other friends (yes, this is my social life: an impromptu sewing club!) and we made aprons. One of my friends is very tall and expecting a baby, so we used our noggins and extended the pattern where it was needed so she could cook for all of her family for Thanksgiving. And, finally, I whipped together a blessing dress for another friend who is expecting a little arrival next month. I have to say that I am most proud of the blessing dress AND it was the most expensive project I've ever made. I also learned a lot about material and that I probably shouldn't expect to make such a "detailed" type of garment in one day. I started cutting/sewing around 4pm and didn't finish until midnight. There are still a few little embellishments I want to make, but it will work as is if need be. And, I am becoming more confident in my gathering abilities. Not too shabby for a girl who has mostly taught herself.

2 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Nope! Not too shabby there sis! Not too shabby at all!!!

The Roes said...

I love it! I am really jealous of those sewing skills now!