09 December 2010

Turn the Lights Off

I learned a valuable lesson today. If you leave the dome light on in the car overnight, don't expect it to start the next morning. But, I will be grateful for the 18 degree weather that frosted over my car during the night, too. Because I thought to go start the car early to warm it up and defrost it, I realized in nearly enough time that it wasn't going to start and that I would either have to make Emily skip school or ride her to school on the bike and trailer.
Bike and trailer it was! I put the girls in and then piled a king-sized comforter around them, snapped the cover over and away we went! I haven't found my gloves and stocking cap yet, so it was a bit chilly on my hands (thankfully I have luxuriously thick hair that kept my ears and head warm). By the time we made it to school, my hands were frozen, my legs were completely wobbly and I thought I was going to pass out upon entering the heated building. But, we were only a minute late. Sure, it's her first tardy, but after accomplishing the frozen feat, I was not upset.
The ride back home was a bit easier with the lighter load, although my hands were definitely frozen. I had to laugh at the gentleman who made a face and commented that he hoped it was warm in the trailer. He must have thought I was crazy and actually chose to do this "for fun" instead of the necessity is was. Thankfully, Eric got off early (he has finals today) so I didn't have to do a repeat this afternoon, although it was much warmer than the 18 degrees this morning.
All in all, I now know that I am at least related to She-Rah because a normal Liz wouldn't have been able to accomplish that. She would have frozen before the first corner.

1 comment:

Em said...

WOW! You are a much better mom that me! It totally would have been a skip day for me!! Way to go! You are definitely She-Rah in my eyes!!