10 July 2009

A Walk and Four Hitch-hikers




Since we actually had the opportunity to go and do something yesterday with Eric being off work, we decided to go up to a State Park and explore. Upon arriving, we realized that many of the "attractions" were barred to us due to us having such young children.
We did decide to go on a hike that we thought was 1.8 miles. Some hikers came out of the trail and were amazed that we were going to take the hike plus two kids (Gianna in arms b/c we don't have a "baby-pack"). We thought nothing of it and headed in.
After awhile, Emily started getting tired so Eric and Susan took turns carrying her on their shoulders for the last part of the hike. (I felt pretty awesome carrying Gianna the entire way. Sure, she doesn't quite weigh 15 lbs, but I did carry her in my arms the whole way and my back never killed me, which is quite a feat.) After we finished, we discovered that the loop part of the hike was actually 2.5 miles. We still don't know the distance for the trail taking you into that hike. But, we felt good and it was great to be out walking and enjoying nature as a family.
When we got home, we were pretty nasty so we all decided to get showers. THANK GOODNESS! I discovered I had picked up a hitch-hiker...a big, nasty, determined tick! Eric had to pull on it awhile before it finally let go and backed out. At that point, we figured we better check everyone. I had two additional tiny ticks and we found one more on Emily. Everyone else was clear.
I had to laugh. We spent a couple hours out in the woods yesterday and I ended up picking up 3 ticks. I've been to Girls' Camp 8 different years at 5 days each, plus a visit up there two other times never picked up a single tick! I hope the hitch-hikers had fun because now they are no longer. Sorry ticks, you can't live here.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Sounds like fun, except for the whole tick thing. Glad you found them all. So where did you guys go hiking. Looks beautiful.

Momma Sarah said...

Ewwwww! Ticks are so yucky! Other than that, sounds like you had fun!