29 September 2008

In a Minute

It's funny that as a parent you find out which words and phrases you say the most often. Apparently I am quite the one for saying "in a minute" because that is Emily's favorite phrase now. I can ask her to come eat and she replies, "in a minute." I get the same response when I tell her to come inside or pick up her toys or brush her hair. It's all going to happen "in a minute." Thankfully, she really DOES finish whatever she is doing and comes "in a minute".
Sadly, another phrase she has heard a lot of in the past few months has been that mommy's tummy hurts. She practically tries to diagnose the problem and "fixes" my tummy by applying various toys to it. At times, though, she claims that HER tummy hurts. Don't ask why...you'll laugh...this poor new baby hasn't even gotten here yet and everything is her fault. Emily's response? "Baby," as she points to her tummy. So, I've tried to be more careful in what I tell her as she climbs on me and jabs me in the tummy with her elbows and knees. Two kids kicking from both sides just isn't much fun, but I shouldn't just blanket everything by claiming "that hurts Mommy's tummy."

No comments: