09 June 2012

Goin' Fishin'

The girls had their very first fishing experience this past week. They were so excited about it. While my Dad pulled out the gear, Gianna verified with me that the "fish sticks" (fishing poles) were the way we were going to catch fish. I was afraid my girls might not enjoy the outing, but hoped for the best. I was concerned that they wouldn't catch anything and that they would be completely upset to discover you had to put bait on hooks to catch the fish. No problems there. Emily even was willing to bait her own hook...with crickets!! Dad still assisted her, but she held the bug and got it on the hook! I was so impressed with her because I wouldn't even do it. Emily was the first to hook a fish. Mom, Dad, and I were all assisting her and instructing and getting pictures. In other words, all of our focus was on Emily. As soon as we got her fish out, Dad turned around and realized that Gianna had hooked her own fish and had reeled it in. A natural fisherman, er-uh, girl! Who would have guessed?? It was so fun and the girls wanted to go back. Too bad we were leaving and wouldn't be able to. However, they look forward to more fishing expeditions. Now, if I can only get over my squeamishness as baiting the hook...

No comments: