18 May 2011

What Do You Do

It's a funny question I decided to post after a very random series of explanations for one individuals decisions lately. The fact of the matter is, this person's explanations almost always feel like stories...you know, the made-up kind to make a person's life sound more exciting than it really is. I generally play along with the person because I don't do well with confrontation. Okay, so people can't actually handle it when I pose an alternate view on things and then I get unfriended/disowned/banned/whatever. So, my stance is usually to play stupid but have the questions in my mind that go something like this: "Wow! Do you really believe that or do you think I'm that stupid to believe your obvious lie? And, if it's the latter, man you really don't think very highly of me."
So, curious to see how other people respond to this sort of situation, I posed a question on facebook. Granted, I'm probably friends with people who are better than I am, but I really wanted to know what people really actually do, think, and possibly say in this situation. I already know what I'm probably "supposed" to do which is what I'm doing except the inner thought process that follows, but the individual doesn't know I'm thinking it, so I figure I'm pretty okay at this point.
Some of my friends said things that I have done...for example, talk about them behind their backs (mostly to my husband, but there are no secrets between us anyway, so that's not a big surprise and sometimes to my sister...not just to anyone, ya know! yes, that's a justification of my terribleness, but I need some kind of dirty rock in my pocket so I don't get translated or something, lol) or avoid future interaction with them. I prefer this last one as it doesn't make me do the first thing so much, but then people get really upset and I get in trouble again.
I know, I'm a grown woman and yet I am in trouble with some person or another all the time. Talking to one of my heroes this past week (who I can never imagine anyone would ever NOT think he was amazing), he even remarked that some people think he's a good guy and some people think not. So, I know it happens to all of us...in some degree or another.
So, be brave and tell me what you REALLY do when you think (or even KNOW) someone is lying to your face.

3 comments:

Em said...

I just have to say it....I LOVE reading your blog. Maybe it's because I don't get to talk/see you as often as I would like! You are definitely a much better person than I am. Though I have learned from experience (sounds better than AGE) that unless it REALLY matters, it is sometimes better to just play dumb. That is usually much easier said than done! If it's a close friend/sister/someone I know I can speak truthfully to, I will usually call said person out. But it's hard, especially when you suffer from a disease called "Foot in Mouth".

Boyd Box said...

I love knowing you love reading it. Sometimes I'm a little nervous that I'll rock the boat too much or show how silly I really am...but then I think, oh well, that's who I am.

kemeki said...

I don't know if I responded to this on Facebook or not, but at the moment, I have thoughts...

If someone is lying to my face, and it's obvious, and not something stupid that I can just brush off anyway - I call them out on it. "Oh, come on! You can't be serious." And if they insist, then I shrug and let it go, or depending on the topic, bring it up again and again (like with my mom, but that was useless).