10 May 2011

Let Freedom Ring!

Anyone who is a dog owner will know that there is a lot of hard work put into training the little cuties. I'm not saying it is the same as raising a child, but many of the same principles come into play: set boundaries, enforce rules, and love, love, love.
I'm excited to say that we have hit that "freedom" point. I can trust my dogs to know where they are allowed and where they are not even while I'm not watching! Certainly, I put things away that I don't want them to be tempted by, but that is only normal.
We did the breaking in to freedom thing with Hannah; giving her opportunity to prove herself little by little. It took me a lot longer to get to that trusting point because she was my first dog. I'm nearing that that point with the puppies. No, I'm not going to let them have full access to the house: carpeted rooms are still off limits. And while we are away for an extended period of time (ie: church), they will either spend time outside or in their kennels. In the short times I'm away from the house, they can be out. Eventually we will break into the trust of letting them out for longer periods, but it really does feel great to have these great dogs enjoying their freedom so much. It's sweet to be greeted at the door by three affectionate pets.

No comments: