12 March 2011

My, How Time Flies

Six? Really? It's been six years since I was a missionary? WOW. That went by way too fast.
My homecoming anniversary is always a time for me to reflect on my mission. It was such an incredible experience that even attempting to relate it to anyone else is incredibly difficult. There is no way to understand unless you serve one yourself, but even then, they are completely different experiences fine tuned to the exact lessons and wisdom that person needs to learn at that time.
As a "greenie" they talk about how your trainer will set the pace of your mission and then how your mission will set the pace of your life. I have to say, it has seemed pretty true. I had a wonderful trainer and an amazing first transfer. Things moved quickly, I got to teach some amazing people, and I got to see a lot of them follow Christ and be baptized members of His church.
Because of my mission, my life has followed in a similar vein. Eric and I started dating shortly after and never really fell back into the "normal" life. Sometimes I feel like I got quite the hand-up because of it. There are so many aspects of life that just don't have an influence in our lives because we never let them back in (ie: inappropriate music/movies/etc.).
I'm really glad that Eric served the mission he did, as well. His last area he served in a leadership position. I think this was significant for the reason he called several of us returning missionaries that first night home. I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that because of that phone call to me, it established our friendship. Had that friendship not been established, we wouldn't have dated and we would not be married. So, I'm really, really glad that he called to check up on me and make that first connection. I'm so happy that six years after finishing my mission, I can still share those memories, teachings, and experiences with my husband and best friend. I'm sure the next six, twelve, eighteen, twenty-four, and thirty-six years and on will also fly by, but I know that they will be memorable and wonderful years with my best friend and husband. Ups and downs, joys and sorrows, beginnings and endings will all be a part of the time that is yet to fly.

2 comments:

April said...

Well you reflecting on the end of your mission causes me to reflect on the beginning of mine, since my very first transfer conference was also your very last. I remember you there. I totally agree about the trainer setting the pace for your mission. I ALWAYS feel SO blessed that I was trained by Sister Manukyan and that I got to spend my first 2 transfers with her. She set such a great example for me, and I consider her one of my very best friends even though I haven't seen her for almost 6 years. Her example was always with me and helped me be a better missionary. I LOVED the time I had with her! I loved my mission too! And I was thinking recently about my scripture study and how it definitely follows the pattern I started on my mission. It's not even like I mean for it to, it's just that I can't seem to stray from the pattern formed as a missionary. I love missions and am so grateful that I served one! I think it helps me be a better wife and will help me to be a better mom when that time comes. I'm glad I got to meet you and become friends with you through our missions too! Sorry this is a lot of rambling, but your post just made me feel and remember a lot!

The Roes said...

I am so glad you served a mission and came home to be an example to me. Even though I didn't follow immediately, you will never know how much I have truly appreciated your steadfast testimony and example. I pray and hope that I can be that sort of example to those around me and especially my children.