02 October 2010

My Hero: My Daughter

My husband has a theory that your spiritual strength is reflected in the heroes you choose in your life. I agree with him, as when I discovered the character of his heroes, it is reflected in his life. One of my heroes is my own daughter.
Jesus has told us that we must become as little children and come unto Him. As I raise my children, this statement becomes more profound. I've spent a good portion of my life trying to grow up and be a respectable, responsible adult. Although that isn't a bad thing, I've also forgotten how to be as a child in certain aspects of my life. So, as I play the role of parent, I am taught how to be a child.
Gianna recently got in trouble for doing something while we were driving in the car. I got on to her and used the mean, stern Mommy voice on her which only further upset her and made matters worse. Emily, applying teachings I have not given, started singing "I am a Child of God" to Gianna to help her calm down. Guess what? It worked. Emily recognized that it worked and announced, "Mommy, I sang to Gianna and it made her happy!" Two lessons: First, create an atmosphere for the spirit, and second, recognize that when you do things this way, it works!
Today, after listening to another amazing General Conference session, we had the opportunity to give another lady a ride home. This sister is so gentle and Christlike anyway. Emily asked if we were going to her grandparents' house and I explained that first we needed to drop this sister off at her home so she could be with her family again. Emily immediately tells me, "I want to grow up and drive a car so I can take everyone home!" AH! If I only looked at my ability to drive being an opportunity for service to others like that! It's true. I not only can drive, but I have a vehicle that still has room left over after filling it with my own family. What a great lesson to teach me immediately following President Uchtdorf's talk that mentioned seeking opportunities to help our fellow man and that of Elder Christofferson who challenged us to be more service minded.
Apparently, although it may not look like my children are listening, they are absorbing the teachings. Too bad I'm not more like them as it always appears that I am listening, but in the end, I don't think I'm absorbing nearly as much!

No comments: