15 October 2010

Compliments

When is the first time you were told you were pretty? And, I'm not saying your parents, either. But, some non-relation who took the opportunity to boost your self-esteem and give you that coveted compliment.
It may sound shallow to want to be beautiful, but it isn't. Definitely people can go too far with it, but I think every individual at least at some point in his/her life desires to be viewed as being easy on the eyes.
I was discussing this with Eric and out of all the guys I ever dated, I don't actually remember anyone telling me that I was beautiful except for Eric. I've had compliments on my hair, my eyes, my smile or even my voice throughout the years, but it wasn't until I was an adult that I had anyone outside of my family tell me I was beautiful.
In fact, the first non-relation who told me was a girl named Tericka. She was one of those natural born beauties with dark skin and hair and was petite. I, on the other hand, have always felt kind of like a giant and big. I never felt delicate or really that feminine. I have "man hands" and have a lower voice. I don't have any distinctive features that would be referred to as beautiful. She knew I was struggling to feel beautiful as a guy was kind of toying with my emotions. She pumped me up and made me start believing that maybe I was beautiful after all. But, there were still a lot of negative self-image issues handing around.
I always viewed myself as plain even though I had a fun time dating in my college days. I look pretty much the same as I have since the eighth grade. Sure, my face has "aged" or "matured" over the years, but that's about it.
Today I feel like a beautiful woman. I feel put together (most days...or, at least when I want to) and accomplished. I have an education that I am proud of and hobbies that keep me busy when I want to be. I have two gorgeous children and the most affectionate man who somehow came to love me and married me nearly five years ago.
The difference in my view of my appearance today is that I get to hear every day how beautiful someone thinks I am. We all need to share that compliment a little more often so people feel special and beautiful, just like they are.

No comments: