08 November 2009

Substitution, Please!

I volunteered to make cookies for a church activity that was held tonight. Part of the yumminess of cookies is for them to be fresh baked, so I set myself an alarm to start baking with enough time to get cooled cookies to church. Things were going well, especially since both of my girls were napping. After mixing most of the ingredients together, I realized that I was an egg short of the recipe requirements. Uh-oh! It's Sunday, so there is no going to the store to purchase more eggs. I quickly call a couple of neighbors, but don't reach anyone. So, what would any desperate girl do?
Call Mom. Sure enough, Mom had all the answers! She gave me a couple of choices, but the one I went with was flax seed. Seriously? Flax seed can replace an egg? Doesn't that seem unlikely? Well, it did and it was beautiful! No one would even know my substitution story, but I just had to rave about this new discovery, BECAUSE, you can actually store flax seed whereas eventually, eggs DO go bad and there aren't many things that are worse than the smell of a bad egg.
So, tonight, I pay tribute to my Mom who knows everything and to the power of flax seed.

4 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

umm, I don't even know what flax seed is or where I would purchase it. So, that substitution would not work for me. But, I'm glad you had it on hand.

Boyd Box said...

I bought it at either Kroger or Walmart. It was just on the shelf...no searching for it here in middle GA. It's healthy (has omega-3)...just check the baking aisle and you'll probably find it.

Momma Sarah said...

Flax seed is usually in the baking isle around the flour. I knew that one, but forgot about it. Way to go Mom and Liz!

Emily said...

Flax seed? Really?? Whole flax seeds or do you grind them? Could you use them in omelets? haha.....