06 November 2009

Stares in the Grocery Store

No, my kids weren't misbehaving. No, I didn't go in my pajamas. I just experienced great amounts of incredulity from the cashier and the two bagger boys assisting me today at Kroger. It was pretty funny from my standpoint.
I don't like shopping. It's one of my least favorite things to do, but it must be done. So, I try to do as much at one time as possible. This means that when I go grocery shopping, I am NEVER thinking about the week. I am ALWAYS thinking long-term and "in bulk" (not necessarily bulk items but bulk in quantity).
Today, I just couldn't pass up the sales on canned goods. I've been paying attention to prices and they FINALLY had cans of veggies for fifty cents a piece. As I pull the annoying uncooperative "car" cart up to the conveyor belt, I begin unloading and not thinking anything more than, "Man, glad I came shopping today!" A bagger boy approached me and asked if I'd like help. SURE! Let your young manly back bend over and pull them out for me! Of course, after about 10 cans, I noticed he shot the cashier a look and she raised her eyes back at him. I know they were thinking, "Man, this lady is CRAZY! What does she need all these cans for?" To prove my point, when the poor boy completed his task, he turned to me and said, "Looks like you'll be good for a year." Smiling at him, I replied, "That's the idea!"
Now, there is no way that what I bought truly would last us a year, but it did bring our food storage back up to where it should be. It was a good thing to have the supply when money was short awhile back. It's even better now that we can replace it all. Isn't modern revelation wonderful!

1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

YEA! I love it when I find great deals like that! It's like Christmas for me! Seriously! I get those warm fuzzy feelings and all that... Great job on stocking up again!