16 February 2009

Ya Gotta Read Big

Emily has a passion for books. It's been this way since she was a little baby. When she was big enough to move around, she would scootch herself to the bookshelf and pull all the books down and get on top of them. Then, she'd open one up and it appeared as if she was truly reading it as she turned the pages. I am glad that this passion has not diminished. Now she brings a whole stack of books for me to read to her. When I told her "only one" today, she grabbed a stack (seven books total), and replied, "ya gotta read big, Mommy." I chuckled and let her bring them all to me.
I remember loving to read books and devouring them as quickly as I could. I remember my mom bringing home a large BOX filled with books from the public library for our family to read (come on! There were nine kids! How else would she be able to transport them?). I even believe that my poor eyesight is due to not being able to put down a book in order to turn on a light as I'd read into the dusk of evening. This is part of the reason I majored and graduated in Humanities: Comparative Literature. I still love to read, it's just more difficult to find good books. I'm currently reading the series THE KINGDOM AND THE CROWN. When I finish with this, perhaps someone out there has a suggestion for something else for me to devour, because I still need to "read big".

5 comments:

The Roes said...

Em is too cute! Haydn loves books too! I have pictures of him laying on the floor looking at books when he's like 4 - 6 months old.

I attribute my good eyesight to not reading so much! =)

Momma Sarah said...

LOL! That cracks me up! I would encourage you to google AmblesideOnline. Go to ANY of the years booklists and read anything from them - especially the 'free reading'. They are great reads - lots of classic books - and, if you don't mind reading from a computer screen, you can read a lot of them right from the computer. Well, maybe not ALL of them. I am finding it hard myself to tackle some of the books Dalton is supposed to be reading for school. (Maybe that's why he isn't too keen on them either?) I'm getting an education as well!

Boyd Box said...

Funny, because Eric wasn't a big reader as a kid either, and he has excellent eyesight, too! I hope I'm not stretching the truth here, but I believe he said he's read more books since we've been married than he read throughout his life (I'm assuming he means "fun" reads, not assigned).

Momma Sarah said...

Oh, so NOT reading is good for your eyesight?! Ha ha! That is really funny!

miss said...

I agree. Reading kills eyesight. At least, mine. :) I have a ton of recs. I'm reading "Marley and Me' right now. So cute!