06 February 2009

Tested and Blessed

The Gospel according to St. Matthew Chapter 25
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I met Eric for lunch today and we ended up on the topic of finances. Everyone seems to be a little tighter in their budget than they've had to be in the past. As we discussed some things, I thought how much it stinks to have to be so strict on our spending. I was much chastened on my drive home.
As I approached the intersection after getting off the interstate, I noticed a very dirty man standing on the corner with a piece of cardboard held in front of him. I'm sure the image is familiar to all of you. I contemplated taking the further right lane so I wouldn't have to feel his eyes on me as I waited for the light to turn red. I never carried money with me anyway, so I might as well avoid him completely. Instead, I found myself pulling into the left lane with the thought that I really couldn't help so why try to avoid him? Something hit me personally as I read his sign "JUST HUNGRY". I immediately grabbed my wallet and hoped there might be a dollar bill still hiding in there. Sure enough, there was. In fact, there were two dollars. I rolled my window down and addressed him. As he approached me, I apologized that it wasn't more. Two dollars doesn't purchase a whole lot these days. "God bless you," he said. I returned the response with tears in my voice. Although I had never been forced to beg for food, I have been hungry and unable to satisfy that hunger due to my circumstances. At that point in time, somehow my money was blessed to stretch to provide enough to sustain me. I could relate to this man and was so grateful that I had two dollars to spare for this stranger even in this time of tight budgeting for us. It was my time to provide for him who hungered.
As I drove away from this man, I began to cry. I was so sad for him and so sad I didn't have more that I could give him. I know I was given this experience to remember what it was like to truly have nothing and to be grateful for all that I have been given. I have a wonderful husband who works diligently to bring home the money to pay for every bill, need, and want. My children are fed and clothed, and when they need medical attention, I can take them. I have a beautiful home with heat and running water. I have more than adequate clothing. I can shower with soap and wash my clothes in a washing machine and dry them completely in a dryer. I have all the conveniences of life and more. I have been given yet another experience to further strengthen my testimony of the love of Jesus Christ and his atonement. That is the emotion I was filled with as I left that stranger. In this, I have been blessed abundantly. I pray that our Heavenly Father watches over this man and all others who are hungry this day.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Hi Liz, just found your blog off Facebook:) I've always been uncomfortable when I see people at intersections. Somehow "Just hungry" is so poignant. I'm glad you could help, and it helps me to better appreciate what I have too.

We just started a family blog for our time here in Hawaii. It's www.jjstimpson.blogspot.com. Come be a follower!:) (I need more than five!)

Momma Sarah said...

I, too, find myself complaining about what I don't have, but when I stop to look at what I DO have, I am blessed very abundantly. Thanks for sharing your story and your testimony. It breaks my heart to see kids standing with/nearby people holding those signs. There was a family that I drove by several times a few years ago. I told myself that if they were there the next time I went by, I would give them some money. They were obviously living out of their little car. I felt better, not because I had done this 'noble' deed, but because I knew I had done what the Saviour wanted me to do for that family.