17 March 2014

General Conference is My Witness

With General Conference soon approaching, I just had to share the way it saved my iPod. Today has not gone as planned. Too much to do and too little time to get it all accomplished. We started out the day trying to get our oldest off to school as soon as possible. She's a great girl and gets herself up, so that was pretty easy. We walked her to school and then loaded up in the car to drive to pick up our new flooring (yea!!). When we got in, I noticed that there were papers from my console sitting on the passenger seat. I didn't think anything of it because I figured Eric was looking for something and didn't put them back. We went to enter the address into the GPS and couldn't find it. We kept going thinking it had perhaps popped off the window and gotten slid under one of the seats and we just couldn't see it. On with out trip! We picked up our flooring and then realized we didn't bring tarps for them to be wrapped in and it is raining today (okay, it wasn't raining in Wilson when we left, it started raining when we were almost there). No problem, they helped us out with that but we still got a bit of moisture on them We hurried home since we would have to unload 41 boxes of floor before Eric left for work. When I got up to the front door, I noticed a card sticking in it. The police were apparently at the house while we were gone. Now we are wondering what happened, especially since when we called, we got sent to voicemail. So, on with the unloading of the floor. We were nearly done when Eric had to rush to get ready for work. I pulled the last few in and set them up and am hoping they will all get dried out. Wiping them down, blowing a fan on them, turning on the heat: you get the picture. I start the first load of laundry, as this is my major cleaning day. I have a lot to do because we've torn up the house getting different parts going (like the beautiful new floor in the bathroom!) so there are tools laying around, things shoved out of the walkway, sawdust from here to there...a lot. I start organizing things. I hate this part of the renovation: there is no where to keep the tools because we don't have another place. I'm really hoping for a garage this year! My phone rings. Guess who it is? A detective from the local police. They have recovered some property of ours: the GPS. I arrange to go down and claim it but take the time to go through the car to verify if there are any other things missing. YEP! My iPod is gone as well. I don't use it a lot except on long trips. I go down to the police station (which I have never ever done before) and get signed in a wait. Just so you know, the police station is NOTHING like it is portrayed on TV. Nothing. Finally, the detective comes to get me and I go back with her. She shows me the GPS, which they identified as ours due to the "HOME" being set for our address. YEA!! I then ask if there was an iPod also recovered. They say yes but tell me there are no contacts in it. Yep, sounding like mine. I describe the fact that the only music loaded on it is actually General Conference talks. It's a pretty unique identifier. I open the music and sure enough, President Monson's face is smiling back with a talk ready to play. I sign for everything and get to go home with property I probably shouldn't have been able to recover. I didn't have to place a police report because they called me. I am so happy and so grateful. And, the best part is, General Conference was the way I got to retrieve my iPod. I think that's pretty great. Who knew the Lord's warning voice would also be a way to reclaim property?

No comments: