19 June 2011

Tribute to My Dad

I have one of those dads that you will always been awed by. He's tall, smart, and very caring.
I remember measuring my own growth compared to his belt buckle. You have to know my dad to know why this is significant. He is NOT a hick, a cowboy, or whatever, but he DOES love a good, large belt buckle. Of course, at times that belt brought different emotions, but I deserved what I got and knew it was the punishment (and you know what? I turned out just fine and we are a happy family, nay-sayers of corporal punishment.) He was a disciplinarian and I respect my Dad (and Mom) for setting rules and sticking to them.
I also have always thought my dad was a super smartie. http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif Seriously, if you ever have an inkling towards knowing the in's and out's of any scientific theory or method, he'll explain it. His knowledge lent well to talents in sports because he understood that whole physics thing. But I learned other loves of my life from him as well. He's a big history buff (largely WWII stuff and if you haven't heard of or seen Battle of the Bulge, you haven't stayed at my parents' home for any length of time) and he has always shown a love for music. The latter one is interesting because he never played an instrument. However, there are more songs that I associate with my Dad than probably any single other person on the planet. It's because he'd play the records on a Saturday morning while Mom was cooking breakfast. The William Tell Overture is also known to me as "Dad's Song".
I will also have cherished memories of my dad going to school with me to do presentations on Native Americans when I was in elementary school. He made traditional clothing and was part of a tribe there in Missouri, so I grew up appreciating that culture as well.
Dad, if I haven't told you lately, I really do love you and respect you. Thanks for helping to lead me through this life to be where I am today. I love you!! Happy Father's Day!!

2 comments:

The Roes said...

Or The Battle of Britain, or any other WWII movie!

Boyd Box said...

Patton. That's another of his fav's. He used to watch john wayne movies, too.