28 June 2011

Christ Centered Life

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really have learned a lot about being centered on Christ by raising my children. I've often heard it taught in church (and repeated it myself) that we need to seek opportunities to teach the gospel in every day moments of life. The truth of the matter is, our children will teach us, first.
I asked a simple question at dinner and thought I would receive a very different response from Emily, but her response was even more insightful and safer than I would have originally taught her. A lesson of practicality and safety coming from me turned into my child teaching me about faith and prayer.
My question, "Emily, what would you do if you got lost?"
With no hesitation she replies, "I would pray to Heavenly Father. "Dear Heavenly Father, bless me to find my home. You go first and I follow you. Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
I was stunned. I was prepared to teach her to look for a woman and ask for assistance and to have her repeat my cell number (statistically speaking, women are safer and more willing to go the distance to return a child). I was taught tonight that the first thing IS prayer. Oh, to be as a little child and know that God knows everything and can lead us to every answer and assistance we need!

No comments: